Sunday, September 9, 2012

Too Many Options

Anytime I hear a discussion on the advancement of technology and options in society, I think about the "good old days". Yes, that makes me one of those old farts that sits on the porch reminiscing. But what I think about when doing so is what technology has not just changed, but has begun to erradicate from the world that I grew up with. And if I'm sitting on my porch, I can literally look across the street and see one of them -- the building where I worked creating ads for small specialty papers that had to let me and several others go in a large-scale downsize due to the rapid decrease in sales of printed papers. Having done a research paper on the effects of the web on newspapers and on-line reading, Kindles, Nooks, etc. on book production, this was what I saw in may head:  a casket with a body made of newspaper and a head made from a book. So that's what I made.


The book is Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. The body is made from one of the papers I once designed ads for.

No comments:

Post a Comment