Monday, September 17, 2012

Smacked Senseless

So I missed class today due to being called into work, but stopped by Beth's office and chatted a bit about the senses. Oh, the irony. I am notorious among my friends for missunderstanding things due to hereditary bad hearing and just today received this in an email from my cousin because it made her think of me.


It would be nice if my lack of hearing heightened my other senses (perhaps it has my sense of smell -- I do gag overly easily), but for the most part, no. Just today I didn't seem to notice a large floor-to-ceiling window next to the door in the IT computer lab until I smacked it with my face. Maybe it's about observation more than anything. We often choose when to use our senses much like we choose when to use common sense. Mine will likely kick in within the next few weeks with the coming of fall when the smells, colors, and even sounds are able to reach through the indifferent fog and strike me unawares. Like a plate-glass window. Only more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment