Sunday, September 16, 2012

Different Rules

When it comes to creativity, I write. I think, I have ideas, I can see things and sometimes make things but art in the sense that most people think of it -- drawing, painting and such, is something I have done very little with since high school. And when I have done it, it's been pencil drawing. Precise and painstaking and basically always feels just short of perfect so I stopped. I've done little painting, creatively anyway. I have a hard time doing things that seem so permanent, that I can't immediately erase mistakes on and fix. And I'm usually very slow in the process, which is another reason why I stopped bothering.

So when the director of my church's youth group asked me to paint a very large background of a swamp (why a swamp, I don't know) I was really unsure. And with 2 weeks to do it, even more weary. Did I say it was large? Yeah, 4 - 8 ft. x 4 ft. panels. But it's done and not too bad.



So, for me, the broken rules are premanence & scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment